About Lord Howe Island (just very briefly)

Lord Howe Island was first discovered in 1788 by Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball (Commander of HM Tender 'Supply') while en route from Port Jackson (Australia) to the penal colony of Norfolk Island.

 

The island is some 600km east of the Australian mainland and barely 11km long and 2.8km at its widest.  From above, an isolated dot in the Tasman Sea, but close-up Lord Howe Island lives up to all those expectations of what an island paradise ought to be.

 

In 1982, UNESCO recorded the Lord Howe Island Group as a World Heritage Site of global natural significance.